Am I eligible?

To be eligible for the Youth Mobility Visa or Ancestry Visa you must meet these requirements:

Youth Mobility Visa

This visa allows you to work in the UK for up to two years. IEP will help you obtain this visa and to be eligible you must fulfil the following criteria:

  • Hold a New Zealand passport
  • Be aged between 18 and 30 (your visa application must be received by the UK Border Agency before your 31st birthday)
    Show proof of having at least £1890 in your bank account on the date you complete your visa application


UK Ancestry Visa

This visa allows you to work in the UK for up to five years. IEP will help you obtain this visa and to be eligible you must fulfil the following criteria:

  • Hold a New Zealand passport
  • Provide proof (original birth certificates) that you have a grandparent born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man or they were born before 31 March 1922 in what is now the Republic of Ireland. We will also need originals of marriage certificates for any name changes
  • Must provide documents proving that you are able to support yourself without access to public funds until you are able to find employment. (We recommend having at least $4000 in your bank account on the date you complete your visa application) In the form of three months worth of bank statements
When should I apply for the visa?

It can take anywhere from 8-12 weeks to apply for a Youth Mobility & Ancestry Visa.

Do I need to get my criminal record check?

If you have any past convictions you will have to get a criminal record check & provide IEP with the details. If you have a clean record you will not have to get a criminal record check

Can I apply if I am at university?

Yes you can apply for the Britain program if you are at University. For the Youth Mobility & Ancestry Visa you do not need to have student status to be eligible.

We do not recommend that you use your visa for the UK over your summer holidays. The Youth Mobility Visa is only issued once in a lifetime, so we encourage you to make the most of this visa.

If you are a full-time uni student check out the EXCLUSIVE 12 month US visa you are eligible for here.

Can I repeat the Youth Mobility Visa?

Unfortunately you cannot repeat this visa. They are issued only once in a lifetime and are good for 24 months. The visa cannot be extended.

Can I repeat the Ancestry visa?

Yes you can renew your Ancestry visa for the UK. The Ancestry visa are valid for 5 years.


If I go on the program, what do I get?

The Work Britain program is full support. This means that before you even leave the country you will have assistance in obtaining the visa, access to our expert travel materials to prepare you for your trip and have the assistance from our staff to answer any questions you may have. Once you have applied for your visa you will have access to the online members website where you can find job listings, accommodation postings, information on the UK and much more. You will also be given access to our closed Facebook group where you can meet other travellers on the program! This is a great place to meet future flat mates, ask questions and see where others are working and travelling!

The inbound centre is equipped with computers, internet, fax, printers and phones.

They also host social events where you can meet other travellers on the program. Pub meets, sporting matches, theatre trips, and other events are run throughout the year.

Our staff is there to provide you with the support and guidance you need to have a successful working holiday. If you are having problems finding work, feeling homesick, need assistance sorting your mobile phone whatever it is, we are there to help!

Can I travel with my friend/partner?

Yes you can travel with a friend or partner. When you apply for the program, just let us know your travel plans and we will make it happen

When should I apply?

At a minimum you should allow for 8-12 weeks. You can apply early and let us know when you want to depart. We will plan everything accordingly so you can leave when you want. It is also a great way to break up fees i.e. program fee, visa fee, insurance, flights.

When do I have to leave?

There is no set departure time for this program. You leave when you want. You can only post date the visa by 3 months, so make sure you take that into consideration when planning your working holiday.

Do I have to buy insurance through IEP?

No, insurance is not a program requirement. You should purchase insurance to go on a working holiday to the UK. IEP has a very comprehensive policy that covers a working holiday in the UK. If you would like to obtain a quote for insurance please email

Will I have the opportunity to meet other people on the program before I leave?

Absolutely! We have a closed Facebook group where you can meet your fellow travellers all before you leave NZ. This is a great way to ask questions, meet future flat mates as well as see what others are doing in the UK.

How do I find out more information?

The best place to find out more is here on the website! We also host information sessions throughout the country and this is a great way to learn more. If you cannot make it to an info session you can give us a call at 0800 700 705, contact us or find us on Facebook.

How do I apply?

To apply all you need to do is visit here and fill out the required contact details and make the application payment of $395. Once that is done we will be in touch to start on the visa process as well as provide you with our expert travel materials.


Do I need a return or onward ticket?

No. You can enter the UK on a one-way ticket. The Youth Mobility Visa is valid for 2 years and you cannot purchase a return flight that far ahead. We have an in-house STA agent who can get you a great deal on your flight to the UK. To obtain a quote please give her a call at 0800 55 66 90 or email


What happens when I first get to the UK?

When you first arrive in the UK you will have your initial accommodation booked at a hostel. You will attend an orientation where we will review all the vital information that will allow you to find work and accommodation

How do I find a job?

If you like you can start your job search from NZ. 2 weeks before you leave you will be given access to the online member?s website where you can find job leads and listings. You can start to apply for work if you like or just take a look to see what is available at the moment. Remember that it will be easier to find work when you arrive in the UK as you will have a local address, phone number and be able to meet with employers face to face.

You will have access to plenty of job listings at our inbound centres as well as the assistance from our staff. They will be able to review your CV to make sure it meets the correct format and that there are no grammatical errors. They work with a variety of employers who love hiring our participants.

Career related work is available, but like in NZ it can take a bit longer to find. Our partners in the UK work with a variety of employment agencies that will be able to assist you in your searches. It is quite common for participants to take a casual job to cover expenses until they find something that is more related to their studies or work experience.

What sort of jobs can I do?

All kinds! It depends on what you want to do and how hard you want to look for employment. Many of our participants find work in the tourism and hospitality industries (for example, in restaurants, pubs and hotels), where British employers are willing to offer temporary work. You can also get work experience in a variety of other fields such as science, law, education, commerce or administration.
Please be reminded that you will need to meet any relevant British occupation-specific registration or licensing requirements. If you are offered work in construction, in a medical field, as a mechanic or engineer, or in other skilled areas, you should enquire whether there is any provincial licensing or regulatory requirements to be met.

Accommodation in Britain?

Where will I live?

You will choose where you want to live. Many participants will base themselves in either London or Edinburgh as the job prospects are quite good there. Accommodation is readily available and listings can be found on the member’s website as well as in the inbound centre.

There are participants on the Work Britain program from all over the world, so finding a flat mate is a rather easy thing on this program!

Can I visit Europe while in the UK?

Yes, the Youth Mobility and Ancestry Visas allow for multiple entry so you can come and go as you like.