WORK AT SILVER STAR
Located high above Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Silver Star offers you the ultimate Canadian ski resort working holiday that you’ve been dreaming of! Silver Star is known as an amazing family run resort that gets up to 7 meters of 100% natural light and dry snow every season, called champagne powder.
With 12 uplifts that can pump 14,000 people an hour to top of any of their 115 runs, getting cold in the line up isn’t an issue. The terrain ranges from beginner to extreme and is spread over 3000 acres and 3 mountain faces. Night skiing is also offered, so don’t worry if you are working all day because you can still get some runs in at night!
The village itself is themed after a 1900s mining town, and its colourful buildings give it a fun and unique feel. There are 13 restaurants and bars, so the nightlife here is excellent! Silver Star also boasts over 100km of Nordic skiing trails.
- Season: Mid November – Early April
- Terrain: 3282 Skiable acres (1328 hectares). 132 marked runs. 15% easy, 40% intermediate, 35% difficult, 10% extreme.
- Snowfall: Average of 7m natural snow per season – no snowmaking required
- Province: British Columbia
- Accommodation: Yes
- Minimum Age: 20
- Interview location: Auckland
Staff Accommodation at Silver Star
Silver Star Ski Resort is committed to providing eligible employees with well-maintained, comfortable and affordable accommodation. Centrally located in the Village, the Silver Lode Inn can accommodate up to 140 staff members. You can expect that the hostel-style rooms will be full (maximum 4 people per room).
- Prices range from $400 to $500 per month
- Each room has a private bathroom and comes equipped with 4 bunk beds, mini-fridge, small TV, and phone (room to room calls only).
- The staff accommodation is located right in the village. Most private residences on the hill are walking distance to work, although there is a resort shuttle bus.
- There is also a free shuttle bus for those who choose to live in Vernon, rather than in staff housing.
Working at Silver Star
Pay rates at Silver Star typically start at CA$10.85/hour.
Silver Star has hired for the following roles in the past:
- Food & Beverage Server
- Hotel Night Auditor
- Lift Operator/Ticket Checker
- Retail Sales Clerk
- Snowsports Instructor
- Snowsports School Sales Agent
- Snowsports School Sales Team Leader
- Sous Chef
- Tube Town Park Attendant
- Ski Patrol
Perks of working at Silver Star
- Ski / Snowboard season pass
- Ride breaks – split shifts allowing for daily riding
- Discounts at restaurants, rental / retail shop, hotels, ski / snowboard lessons
- Staff accommodation opportunities
- Extra one day ski passes for family / friends
- Staff shuttle in the winter
- Staff trips to other ski hills and hockey games and staff socials